Welcome 2019 | Meet the CCE Team
Happy New Year! The Center for Creative Economy is looking forward to another great year in 2019.
For those who have attended some of our most recent events, you may have noticed some very exciting changes to our organization. In the past six months, we’ve introduced two new team members to the CCE family!
We invite you to read on and learn a little more about the CCE team and what makes each member unique and a great resource to the organization and the creatives we serve! Please feel free to reach out anytime and be sure to introduce yourself next time you are at a Swerve event.
Let’s meet the team!
Margaret Collins, Founding Executive Director
Margaret Collins, is the Founding Executive Director of the Center for Creative Economy (CCE).
Margaret was recently named a Triad Power Player by the Triad Business Journal and serves on the Board of Directors of the Piedmont Triad Film Commission. Nationally, she served on the board of the National Creativity Network and was a co-founder of the National Creative Economy Coalition. Originally from Shelby, NC, Collins attended Wake Forest University and UNC School of the Arts receiving a B. A. in music from WFU studying trombone and piano. In Washington DC, she received an M.A. from The American University in Performing Arts: Arts Management. Margaret enjoys playing in the Winston-Salem Community Band. She and her husband, Ray, have a son, Michael, currently at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Margaret’s Fun Facts:
- I am a big fan of hot yoga! On most Saturday mornings you can find me at the Robinhood YMCA stretching and sweating. It’s a great stress reliever and I get some of my best ideas in class!
- I love books on tape and usually have one going in my car. Right now I’m reading Brene Brown’s “Dare to Lead” which is really intense. During the holidays I took a break and watched a few Hallmark’s TV movies. So romantic, sweet, and festive!
- I also love travel and this month headed to Singapore and Indonesia. Ray and I are visiting with CCE board member, Shuyi Mo, and having a blast exploring Southeast Asia including Bali.
Taryn Jerez, Marketing and Events Coordinator
Taryn Jerez was added to the team in June of 2018 as CCE’s Marketing and Events Coordinator. Taryn is a Florida transplant and has called North Carolina home for the last four years. She obtained her B.F.A in Fashion Design and Marketing from the International Academy of Design & Technology in Tampa, FL. Taryn is a creative professional with experience working for Fortune 500 companies and diverse brands both big and small, which has allowed her to receive extensive experience in everything from branding and content marketing to product development, vendor relations, and more. She is passionate about small and women-owned business and her favorite thing about her role is organizing and facilitating monthly Swerve events. When she isn’t working, you can find her watching Netflix on the couch with her husband, cat, and two dogs or doing a craft project.
Taryn’s Fun Facts:
- I am actually a small business owner myself. I’m a creative business coach and the founder of One Crafty Miss, LLC, an online space created for female entrepreneurs to fuel the heart behind their hustle. I love working with female makers and creatives to help them make more money, doing what they love.
- I am married to my “high school sweetheart”. We actually met at band camp when we were fifteen years old and have been together ever since.
- I have a huge love for sea turtles and am really passionate about sea turtle conservation! Every year, I support the Sea Turtle Hospital in Marathon, Florida and one of my goals in the future is to volunteer with them at a sea turtle release.
Kayla Norris, Operations and Community Development Coordinator
Kayla Norris is the newest team member with CCE and is the Operations and Community Development Coordinator. She has a Bachelor’s Degree in Management of Nonprofit Organizations from Johnson University in Knoxville, TN. Passionate about strategic planning, implementing systems and community development, her favorite part about her role at CCE is getting to connect with individual creatives and learn about their unique skills and passions. Kayla grew up in Winston-Salem and moved back here from Knoxville in 2018 to pursue a career in the nonprofit industry. In her free time, Kayla likes to explore downtown Winston-Salem with her husband, Adam, and golden retriever, Ruby.
Kayla’s Fun Facts:
- I was born in Colorado and have lived in Massachusetts, New York, and Tennessee, but will always consider North Carolina my home! I lived in Winston-Salem from age 9 until I left for college. After 6 years in gorgeous Knoxville, TN, my husband and I had Carolina on our minds once again and decided to move back home in the spring of 2018.
- My creative outlet is writing! I enjoy journaling, writing poetry and writing short stories. I won a newspaper essay contest, was on a radio show, and spoke in front of a group of 1,500 people all before age 15.
- My dream for later in life is to run a bed & breakfast out of a historic farmhouse with lots of land for raising golden retrievers. I love nothing more than creating the perfect environment for people to feel comfortable, important, and loved.
While each member of the team comes from different backgrounds and experiences, together there is an abundant amount of passion for creative entrepreneurs and the impact that can be made in the creative community. As we enter 2019, know that our team is here to serve and we look forward to a wonderful year ahead!